Skip to main content

Dion

Me:  I gotta check this out...

Dion:  Nice, isn't it?

Me:  Moto Guzzi "Bellagio" ... what year?

Dion:  2009

Me:  Wow, it looks newer than that

Dion:  Yeah, I take pretty good care of it. I've ridden a number of bikes since buying this one new eight years ago but haven't found one I like better yet.

Me:  Cc?

Dion:  It's only 940

Me:  (why do guys always apologise for the size of their engines if they're not over 1000?) But I bet it still hops along, right?

Dion:  Oh yeah

Me: Interesting V arrangement for the cylinders (remember, I'm a noob at this)

Dion: Yeah, it's how all the Moto Guzzi v twins are

Dion was a bit of a late bloomer rider like me (been riding 9 years) and was heading off to ride the Himalayas for the second time later this year. Great stuff. I just LOVE how bikes bring people together. Really enjoying this instant camaraderie. It gets me talking to all sorts of people I normally wouldn't. And that's (almost) as good as the riding :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grayden

WHEN DID YOU START?
I was a late bloomer. Didn't get my licence until very recently at age 57. It was something I always wanted to do but believed all the "it's too dangerous" advice and never pursued it.

WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST BIKE?
It's the one I'm riding now as I'm still on my RE licence. It's a 2010 250cc Suzuki Intruder. I feel a bit like a grasshopper on it as it's really a bit small for my frame but hey, I'm just enjoying being out there!

WHAT BIKE HAVE YOU GOT NOW?
See above.

WHAT BIKE WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE?
I already have it! It's the white Suzuki Boulevard C50T below. It was love at first sight when I saw it at Rick Gill Motorcycles and I knew I had to have it. It's basically a clone of those classic 1950's Harley cruisers and is what I've long had in my mind as a "real" motorbike if ever I should get one. Only problem is I can only ride it on L's for now so it sits in the garage a lot of the time. Doesn'…

Actions speak louder than words

So when I shut down all my other blogs (8 or 9 of them) but keep this one, it's telling me something about where my interests really lie :)


But wait, there's more. In order to scrape together enough to buy The White Knight, I flogged off everything that wasn't nailed down.


Even my beloved drum kit. If you'd have asked me a few years ago if that would ever happen, I would have said there's a greater chance of the Pope joining the Orange People. But there it is. I did it. And I haven't regretted it for a second.

This bike has its weaknesses, but comfort is definitely not one of them. Its ergonomics are so perfect for me it's ridiculous. It's as if it was custom-made for me. And the suspension is so sweet you just glide over the bumps as if they're not there.

Now that the odometer has finally clicked over the first 1,000km (and that all-important first service has been done), I'm looking forward to cracking open the throttle a bit more and seeing w…

Monkey off the back

They say you never really grow up until your mother dies. And I would say that motorcyclists never really grow up until they've dropped their bike. 












So now I've done it. Yes! The White Knight ended up on its side in the carpark yesterday as I practiced some tight figure eights. Too tight as it turned out. And the bike was too heavy for this old codger to save. No damage bar a few scratches but a whole lot of weight off the shoulders. And a whole lot wiser to boot 😜. (I also found out how easy it is to lock the rear wheel on a long wheel-base cruiser under heavy braking: REAL easy 😬).

I was reading yesterday that guys hire bikes to take to rider training so they can't drop their Harleys, Goldwings etc. Meh. It might cost you a few battle scars but I reckon it's invaluable to find out where YOUR bike's limits are. Now to find out what it feels like to lean over far enough to scrape a floorboard on the White Knight. Still working up to that one 👀.