Chris

WHEN DID YOU START RIDING?
I got my license when I was 18 years old, living in Minnesota. However, the scene there at the time was not one that I really wanted to be part of (I ran into a lot of sexist and racist people), and I ended up falling out of love with bikes for quite a while. My passion was reignited when I moved to the United Kingdom in 2006.

WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST BIKE?
First bike that I personally owned was a 2005 HondaCBF600SA. The least sexy of all the unsexy bikes.

WHAT BIKE DO YOU HAVE NOW?
Currently ride a 2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRX. It's also terribly unsexy but goes fast and is damned useful.

WHAT BIKE WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE?
I often think about getting an Indian Scout and customizing it. I also daydream about using a Harley-Davidson Road King or Indian Chieftan Limited as my everyday bike. That all assumes that I kept my day job of riding a lot of different bikes. If I had to give up moto-journalism and settle on just one machine I'd probably stick with my Tiger Explorer.

WHY IS RIDING IMPORTANT TO YOU?
I have built a career on answering that question. But the short answer is that it allows me to connect with the world around me in ways not possible in a car; I feel very much a part of the environment. Riding helped stabilize me when I was in a deep depression and it affords me a sense of independence in an increasingly restrictive world.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF ILL-HEALTH PREVENTED YOU FROM RIDING?
Buy a Can-Am Spyder. If I were too ill for that I'd pray for a self-driven car, from which I could smash out all the windows to at least approximate the feeling of being in the wind.


Editor's note: Chris Cope is director of RideApart and one of my favourite motorcycling writers because he isn't afraid to put his heart on paper. Check out this article about the little wooden shed he keeps his bike in to see what I mean. 

If you would like to contribute, send your answers to the six questions to graydenprovis1@gmail.com (along with pictures if you like) and I'll put it up same day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grayden

Monkey off the back

Roy